WaterLase Dentistry – Sioux Falls, SD
Enhanced Comfort and Higher Quality Treatment
Many dentists are choosing to invest in laser technology to provide their patients with more comfortable, more efficient care. Here at Family Dentistry of Sioux Falls, we use the remarkable WaterLase machine. We invite you to learn more about how this unique innovation can benefit you and your family.
What Is WaterLase?
WaterLase is a specific type of soft tissue laser that combines focused light energy with a stream of water. This laser’s use of water gives it a unique advantage. Human tissues are partially made of water, so when the WaterLase hits them, it excites the water molecules in the tissue, allowing the laser to remove unwanted portions. For example, it can remove decayed areas of teeth or abnormal growths. The water also prevents patients from feeling too much of the laser’s heat. It even helps to keep the teeth hydrated throughout treatment.
What Can WaterLase Do?
WaterLase is able to carry out a number of treatments in a manner that is quick, virtually painless, and minimally invasive.
We can use WaterLase to:
- Prepare teeth for fillings. The laser can gently and precisely remove the decayed area of a tooth.
- Give your smile a more pleasing appearance. If you have excess or uneven gum tissue that makes your smile appear disproportionate, WaterLase can trim away the extra tissue and reveal your smile’s true beauty.
- Treat tongue tie. The lingual frenulum is the small piece of tissue that connects the bottom of your tongue to the floor of your mouth. Some children are born with a frenulum that is too thick or short, which restricts tongue movement and results in a condition known as tongue tie. WaterLase can gently snip the frenulum and free the tongue.
- Address periodontal (gum) disease. The laser is able to kill bacterial accumulation below and above the gum line, giving the mouth a chance to heal from the ravages of gum disease.
- And more! We may use WaterLase as part of root canal therapy, dental implant procedures, and other treatments.
Benefits of WaterLase
Of course, any of the abovementioned treatments can be carried out without a laser. However, WaterLase truly takes patient care to the next level. Some of its benefits include:
- In many cases, no anesthesia is necessary when we’re using WaterLase. That means no numbing shots!
- Not using anesthesia enables us to perform more dental treatment at one time, so it’s less likely that you’ll have to visit us for multiple appointments.
- If you’re the sort of person who shudders at the sound of a dental drill, you’re going to love WaterLase. It often eliminates the need for drilling altogether!
- We can prepare teeth for restoration while removing as little healthy dentition as possible. Traditional drilling is less precise, so it may lead to the removal of more tooth structure than is desirable.
- Fast healing time and no sutures. WaterLase is minimally invasive. It also cauterizes wounds as it moves, so there is little to no bleeding. Sutures are rarely needed when we use WaterLase.
- Kid-friendly. WaterLase enhances the dental experience for patients of all ages, including young children.
Would you like to experience the power of WaterLase for yourself? Contact our team today to learn more about this technology or to schedule an appointment.